Let’s take a break from all the deep, philosophical, how-to writing type of posts for today and get into something fun – like writing fantasy!
To put is simply, writing in this genre is freakin cool! And to prove it, here are ten reasons to back this up!
- It’s totally okay to make things up! You wanna have blue monkeys that spit fire balls and only sleep during the say upside down in green crystal caves?? Have at it!! (and if you don’t take this idea, I totally will!)
- You can finally fulfill that dream of kicking ass in a sword fight. Guys get to have all the fun when it comes to swords in medieval stories. But in my story, what I say goes, and if I want to live through my female character and kick every man’s butt in the court yard – guess what? I can!
- You can design that castle the way you want to. Remember playing princess when you were little out of a cardboard box? You can take what you imagined that box castle to look like and get it down on paper. (extra points if you can draw it!)
- Blending cultures is awesome fun. Who says I can’t have a Medieval English Castle with people wearing Kimonos who like to yodel from balconies? I can totally make that work!
- Writing in old English makes you pretty cool. Where else can you use terms like “Good Day my Lady” and “bloody rubbish” on a daily basis and you’re not thought of as crazy?
- It’s a perfect excuse to watch your favorite fantasy movies like Conan, Willow, 13th Warrior, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy twenty million times. All in the name of inspiration right??
- Epic Fantasy is totally in right now! Ahem…Game of Thrones anyone??
- You write in your world so much even you start to believe it. And if you get hardcore fans to believe it too, you are the ISH!
- You are the God of your world, and what you say goes! (great outlet for your narcissism too!)
- Whatever fantastical mess I come up with, it’s my job to make you believe it. This is the challenge that makes being a writer frustrating yet rewarding, because if somebody like Tolkein can make you believe in hobbits, dwarves, and a little place called Middle Earth, I will try my damnest to make you believe in my blue monkeys!
Fantasy fans, anything I’m missing??
Photo courtesy of: fantasy-backgrounds.com