Eleven skeletons exhumed from a grave yard discovered in Volusia County dating back to the 18th century were discovered with bricks shoved deep into their mouths. One grave of a woman had a six foot iron spike driven through the sternum. In the case of that particular woman her skull had been severed from her neck and placed between her crossed thigh bones. Archeologists have determined that this graveyard belonged to the New Smyrna colony started in 1768 by Dr. Andrew Turnbull when Florida was under British rule. The colony of indentured servants lasted only nine years during which they were besieged by plagues, scorching heat, Indian attacks, near starvation and inadequate shelter. The colony consisted of Greeks, Italians and primarily Minorcans from the Balearic Island of Minorca.
ON SALE NOW!